It has been a little while since I last wrote a post but with the weather being soooooo hot - I don't enjoy this extreme heat at all and it doesn't exactly encourage me to sew. Going to pottery has not only been a joy as I am loving everything about it but also it is lovely and cool in the barn and on most days there has just been two of us and two technicians.
Anyway I have done a little bit of sewing (I gave a workshop in early July in Stoke Mandeville and had to do some preparation) - I have finished the landscape based on a painting by Samuel Peploe and I have started another based on photographs I took in Cornwall last year.
Above is the painting by Samuel Peploe of Iona Abbey and below is my finished rolling landscape. I started this piece in the autumn, I think, of last year but found it impossible to work on during the long drawn out winter - I just couldn't seem to get the colours right - I wasn't aiming for the specific colours in the Samuel Peploe painting, what I like is the varying tones of the rooftops and the subtle marks in the landscape. As soon as the light improved I found I could work on it again.
I made a lidded pot to wrap it around and found the bird handle in a shop in Totnes.
The painting by Samuel Peploe is of Iona and Iona Abbey and although in Scotland the landscape reminded me very much of Cornwall and it's pretty coastal villages - some villages have already succumbed to the sea, others edge closer. Where we go on holiday in Praa Sands - a tree in someones garden in now on the beach - it now stands on the beach as it stood in the garden, bleached white by the sun. It has stood there for at least a couple of years and I'm looking forward to going back to see if it is still there this year.
Below are a couple of the photographs I took in Cornwall which are the basis of my new landscape. The buildings and shapes and angles are very like those in the Samuel Peploe painting.
Initially I sorted through the dyed fabrics I had left over from other projects - I like working with scraps - the odd shapes and bits which can then be held down with net or organza. The sky I think is a silk chiffon I dyed some time ago - it takes the dye beautifully and gives a lovely soft effect - I then overlaid with silk net, the land on the right is a cotton scrim. I then dyed organza to get the more specific effects and colours that were missing and below is what emerged.
By overlaying the dyed organza and net over cut shapes a more painterly effect can be achieved. I also decided to put two folds in the fabric as I felt the overall length of the piece was too long and I liked the feeling of depth that this gave. All is then tacked down and stitching can be added where necessary - some stitches are just discreet holding stitches, others to add detail. The piece is far from finished but I'm really pleased with it so far. More detailed pics below.
Below are the fabrics I dyed for the sea and the foliage - procion dyes have been mixed with Manutex to make the dyes liquid a little thick (you don't want it too thick) - if you then paint the thickened dye onto plastic it will give the effect of water. Lay the organza gently over the the top. For the foliage I used bits of roughly cut sponge bound together and dabbed and dragged and splashed the dye onto the organza. The fabrics can then be torn or cut and used as and where you want it to go.