Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Sheep On Clifftop


As mentioned in my previous post, I went to Norfolk to the Pinkfoot Gallery in Cley to pick up Sheep on Clifftop, a stoneware piece that stands about 35 cm high, by Blandine Anderson - picture below.  I really like the unusual shape and the sheep crowded together on the cliff top.   




Looking at Blandine's profile I see she is from North Devon and is a member of the Devon Guild of Craftsmen which is based in a lovely gallery in Bovey Tracy and which I have visited many times.  I often go to Cornwall and I can't pass through Devon without a visit to the gallery at Bovey Tracy which is in a former watermill at the bottom of the town.  They also have a Terrace Cafe which makes two good reasons to stop.  I see there current exhibition is called "Beyond Books" - ten artists using books as their medium, the special qualities of the book explored through a variety of formats from photographs to sculpture, installations and jewellery.  It is on until 8th June 2014.  

I also had another trip to Norfolk on Good Friday to the Antiques and Collectables Fair at the Norfolk showground.  I didn't really go for anything in particular and it was perishingly cold so spent most of the day inside but was very pleased to find a leather scissor and thimble case, some old French pins, a shoe pin cushion and a little cast metal figure of a First World War soldier - the little collection is pictured below.  I have recently been working on textile pieces for the EAST exhibition called "Between the Lines", one of which is a Memory Box.  I have still to make the box but have made the contents which will be textile envelopes which represent letters that may have been the last contact with a loved one.  I thought this collection of sewing accoutrements and the little metal figure of the soldier would be perfect for this Memory Box.





I have also continued to stitch my latest Rolling Landscape and now have to dye the backing fabric.   This picture shows a trodden path through the field.




1 comment:

  1. I love your purchases - and the landscape is fabulous - I'm not usually a big fan of green but that citrus-y green is lovely. Sorry to hear about you accident, you poor thing - I'm going to try and call you later xx

    ReplyDelete