Saturday, 29 November 2014

Colour and Light


After a busy time with the EAST exhibition in Harrogate last week, I decided I would take it relatively easy this week and on Wednesday went to see the film Mr. Turner, a biopic of the artist known as “the painter of light”.  I am so pleased that I found the time to go and see it, I felt totally absorbed and moved by the film that depicted Turner’s life and the times in which he lived and all its harshness and ugliness set between 1826 to 1851 when he died.  I know it might not be everybody’s cup of tea but I genuinely enjoyed it.  I saw a very good description by Nigel Andrews that put it in a nutshell “Artists don’t personify the ideal or dazzling worlds they envision. They are the workshop, not the work. So it’s right, in a biopic, that we see the mess of the creative life.”

The next day I went for another walk with my friends in the North Essex countryside and took this photograph of this beautiful tree in the fading November light - a lovely splash of colour on a grey day, although the sun did break through for a while.



I finished the week taking photographs of a few pages of my sketch book and the piece of work I am stitching at the moment.     






3 comments:

  1. So it's right about the sun shining on the righteous, then! The tree photo came out well and I love the colours in your sketchbook xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Libby, I enjoyed Mr Turner too, quite mesmerising. I came away wanting to find out more about his life and whether he grunted instead of talking! Love the sketches

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colours in your new piece,and the way your sketches feed into your stitching.Very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete