Thursday, 18 December 2014

Stand and Stare

A few weeks ago I was looking for an appropriate poem for a piece of work and was reminded of this one by William Henry Davies.

Leisure

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.


Since finding this poem we have been on a flying visit to Cornwall to visit family, been ill with a bug, developed a food allergy (which food I still don’t know), done the Christmas shopping and written and posted all the Christmas cards and done a myriad of chores that needed sorting.  So today I thought I would do a bit of standing and staring and take a few pictures of what I have been stitching and drawing.

While in Cornwall I did a few more paintings in my sketchbook and took a few photograph of the landscape near where we were staying in St Just in Roseland which is a beautiful and very peaceful part of Cornwall.  We stayed in a lovely house called Pebbles where the living accommodation is upstairs because of the lovely view and the sleeping accommodation is downstairs.  I had also taken some fabrics and threads with me and took the opportunity to cover my sketchbook as you can see below.  

Since I have been home I have continued to work on the little landscape I started in November which definitely has a November feel to it.  It has been worked on "the edge" of a table cloth and you can see the little red laundry mark still on the corner.  I have been on eBay bidding for more old table clothes with a nice wide, double edge which is lovely to stitch on.  I like the idea of recycling and using old, damaged fabrics and giving them a new life.  This little landscape I think will be one of my Rolling Landscapes rather than a framed piece.











3 comments:

  1. Beautiful work Libby. I'm trying to take your advice and find some time to stand and stare ... But after I've defrosted the freezer! Hope you have a happy bug free Christmas. Gina x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, don't know how I missed this post Libby - I love that poem, and the work it has inspired. Have a lovely Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful Libby, stunning colours.Good to see someone is being productive,have a good Christmas.

    ReplyDelete