Monday, 12 January 2015

Happy New Year - Pink to drive away the January Blues


In an attempt to keep away the January blues after Christmas and the New Year festivities I have finished the little sketchbook and the rolling landscape I had been working on late last year.  The images in my sketchbook have moved with the seasons from autumn to winter and the rolling landscape has taken on a morning frost with a shaft of sunlight.  I find that as time rolls by my mood is influenced more and more by light or the lack of it, especially this time of year.  I have always had a natural preference for paler colours and find that I can work in the browns and greys as long as there is plenty of white to lighten the mood.



Along with my sketchbook and rolling landscape, I have included a small wooden house made by Kirsty Elson, another artist I discovered when visiting the Devon Guild of Craftsmen in Bovey Tracy -  kirstyelson.co.uk  - I just love the simplicity and little touches like the bent tack for the light by the front door and the nails in the roof for the chimney pots. The photographs were taken on the windowsill of the back bedroom - I like that you see the window and roof of the house behind and the tree top reflecting what is on the windowsill.



Photographs below were taken this afternoon while out walking at Marks Hall Gardens and Arboretum in Coggeshall, Essex - www.markshall.org.uk - 200 acres of historic landscape.  One of my favourite places to walk, the gardens are beautiful and walking is relatively easy when the weather has been wet. 






And finally for the last part of my first blog of 2015, a reminder that the “Between the Lines” exhibition opened yesterday at Braintree District Museum.  This is the exhibition by EAST which is a response to the centenary of WW1 and is on in Braintree until the 14th March, 2015. www.braintreemuseum.co.uk/whatson/exhibitions/

No comments:

Post a Comment