Wednesday, 23 September 2015

Hemingford Grey


Had a lovely day out at Hemingford Grey near Cambridge - a delightful little village situated on the southern bank of the river Ouse.  The Manor at Hemingford Grey was the home for many years of the children’s author Lucy M. Boston, the first book in a series of six was titled “The Children of Green Knowe”.   The house is more attractive from the outside really having gone through many additions and then a fire over the years but the gardens are lovely - definitely worth a visit.  



 









One thing I noticed before we left was a DVD for sale titled “From Time to Time” starring Maggie Smith, Timothy Spall, Hugh Bonneville and Dominic West (who was in The Wire) - I remembered seeing this film advertised - I think last year some time - and the reason it was being sold at the Manor was that it is “based on Lucy M. Boston’s best-seller The Chimneys of Green Knowe”.  Apparently it is just the thing to watch at Christmas for a bit of escapism.





This was a useful trip gathering ideas for books, both for covers and contents.  This weeks stitching has been a bit of collage using up odd bits of old tablecloth, dyed and painted fabrics and pleated silk.

4 comments:

  1. Looks a lovely place to visit, I wish I produced such beautiful work when I visit somewhere inspirational - I tend to just think about it! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will have to see if there is a walk we can do - I think it is open all year round.

      Delete
  2. I was there this summer, it's a fabulous place. Did you get the tour inside the house by Diana Boston?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gina, yes we had the tour of the house, loved the patchwork curtains in the back living room.

    ReplyDelete