Tuesday, 19 January 2016

Altered Books


Since before Christmas I have been working on altered books and, in particular, one that is dedicated to my mother.  Since the beginning of the New Year and since completing the knitted throw for my settee (done absolutely unplanned after calling in at a wool shop in Saffron Walden back in December), I have completed more pages and started working on another book.  This time I have used some vintage fabrics, bought for me at Christmas by my friend Rene, along with bits and pieces that have been kicking around the room I call a studio.  I also wanted to add some stitched words and my mind went back to two poems I really like by Emily Dickinson - Don't put up my thread and needle and Hope is the thing with feathers.  The theme for the contents of the new book will be, I hope, more spontaneous but perhaps will concentrate on people and place.  I have stumbled upon a Canadian digital artist by the name of Heather Murray and just love the her work which I find very inspiring and which has helped me with the altered book I have been working on about my mother.

The new altered book:
















A few new pages for the altered book about my mother:



Also amongst the treasures that Rene bought for me for Christmas was a lovely, old, distressed book about Maria Antionette - it is so beautifully distressed it doesn't really need anything adding.  Strangely enough, there was an article in last week's Telegraph about some letters that had been written by Maria Antionette which have recently been discovered.  


And finally, that throw I mentioned above which now adds some bright colour to the dreary days.  I made the pattern up myself - it's just garter stitch squares with a garter stitch border, knitted buttons where 4 squares meet.  The wool is Katia DK 100% merino in burnt orange (colour number 20), magenta (colour number 16) and yellow (colour number 12).  I bought the wool from www.craft-days.co.uk who have a shop in Saffron Walden.


3 comments:

  1. What A lovely idea to make an altered book about your mother. I've done one about Marie Antoinette too! Your throw looks great on your sofa... What fabulous colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina - I will have to do a study of Marie Antoinette's life. Hope your new venture is going well.

      Delete
  2. Your books and your knitted throw look even more beautiful in real life! X

    ReplyDelete