Saturday, 30 January 2016

Emily Dickinson

This week I have tried to do some work every day on my new altered book and have decided that it will be about the American poet Emily Dickinson -  I really enjoy her poetry and I did some textile work about her some years ago.  

This week I thought I would try to do an altered image of her (as inspired by the work of Heather Murray).  Like Jane Austen, it is thought that there is only one true image of Emily.  I used charcoal and pastels to extend her dress and to give the impression that she is holding a piece of fabric which she has been stitching.  In many of Emily's poems there is a dash at the end of each line which, it is thought, represents a stitch.  Although Emily was well educated for a young woman who lived between 1830 to 1886 and poetry was her passion, writing was seen as the occupation for a man and therefore she was bearly published in her life time.  She did not marry and as one of two daughters in a middle class family she would have been expected to spend her time attending to the "comforts of her family".

1 comment: