Friday, 22 April 2016

W is for Walking and Workshops

April has been an extremely busy month but I still managed to fit in a walk with friends Gill and Lynne.  One of our favourite haunts is Much Hadham - Henry Moore country - and we always begin at Hopley's Garden Centre with coffee and a slice of delicious cake.  The day turned out to be perfect weatherise for walking - and the photo of the blue bells which were such an intense blue were the best I have every managed to snap.  Mind you on the drive home the weather turned and Lynne's camper van was pelted with hail stones so hard I am amazed it didn't sustain damage.





















Whilst we were enjoying our coffee at Hopley's, Gill showed us her lovely altered book which she started at the workshop I ran at Romford Embroiderers' Guild - sometimes I find that in the flurry of clearing up there is no time to take photographs so this was a perfect photo opportunity.  Gill has used an old embroidered table clothe mounted on linen - just perfect - and she is going to use the book to record her garden and garden plants -  I'm looking forward to seeing the pages evolve.  


Continuing on the subject of altered books, I have also started a new page in my Emily Dickinson altered book - Emily kept a herbarium in which she recorded over 400 plants.  The close observation of plants was a life long passion - Emily used her garden flowers as emblems in her poetry and correspondence.  I found some damaged cutwork flowers which I have laid on old pattern tissue and have started to embroider one of Emily poems - "A sepal, petal and a thorn" - on the opposite page on the back of an old envelope is the dictionary definition of herbarium.


Another talk and workshop I ran at Norwich Embroiderers' Guild was on Rolling Landscapes and this time I managed to snap some of the results - I always love the variety in results - the different colour combinations and moods created.






Finally the Rolling Landscape that I have been working on and which I photoed in the previous post, after some adjustments, is slowly coming together.


No comments:

Post a Comment