With more workshops coming up and, as a member of EAST, a new exhibition coming up next year, I have been pressing on with the altered book on Emily Dickinson and putting a few finishing stitches to a landscape that I have been working on over the last few months. Today we have had really good light for taking photographs so have taken the opportunity to do three posts in one day!!
Although this is a page I have photographed before I couldn't resist sprinkling some of the flowers that have dropped from the wisteria that covers the back of our house.
These two pages continue the theme of Emily's herbarium/domestic duties but form a nice link to the fact that Emily often referred to herself as Daisy especially when writing to Samuel Bowles. Again I have painted the pages with white acrylic, applied a layer of dress tissue and again applied another thin wash of white acrylic. The tissue, as you can see, has provided an opportunity to write a description of an ox-eyed daisy. I have then printed some writing from a print block onto calico and added a scrap of organza that has part of a landscape printed on it. Over all of this I have placed a layer of organza onto which I have drawn and painted (with a waterproof pen and water colour paints) a daisy. On the righthand side, I have prepared the page in a similar way but underneath the organza is a handwritten recipe for marmalade I found written on a scrap of paper inside an old recipe book I found in a junk shop.
On this page I have made another fabric envelope which is made from silk organza so that you can see the collaged contents and on the opposite page a chance find of some words referring to a hedge - could it be the hedge between Emily and Susan!
This is a close up of the envelope and contents - the house is printed on paper and applied to a piece of torn postcard behind which is a poem printed on fabric, a scrap of dotty fabric, some words torn from a book referring to dress and a tiny scrap from a hand written letter sent to me by my friend Rene. It was very fiddly making the envelope with organza but one of its good qualities is that it holds a fold pressed with the heat of your fingers.
This is the landscape I have been working on - the last time I photographed it it didn't have the layer of organza overlaid from the left hand side up to the tree - I have also added a small piece on the far right. I felt that besides adding depth to the picture it has clearly shifted the focal point to the right to that of the little house, rather than the tree. There will be an additional layer of paper laid under the bottom edge of some printed black lines and then the whole thing will be mounted onto a canvas backing before being framed.
Finally I have been meaning to finish this little book cover that I made months ago - I was thinking that it would make a nice little sketch book/note book/herbarium on the plants I have growing in my garden and I suppose this would be a good time of year to start!!