Monday, 17 October 2016

Book Rescue - Doctor Thorne

Whilst at Trellisk in Cornwall I visited the secondhand bookshop and was delighted to find a copy of "Doctor Thorne" by Anthony Trollope - I think the particular copy I found was printed in the late 1940's/early 1950's and it has a torn spine, mainly due to the binding drying out.  Having seen the three part television adaptation this year, which starred Tom Hollander as Doctor Thorne, Rebecca Front as Lady Arabella Gresham and I believe Ian McShane played Roger Scatcherd, I had to buy the book and am looking forward to reading it.  However, before that pleasure I thought I should rescue it from deteriorating any further and recover it.   This week I am giving a talk and workshop at the Waveney Branch of the Embroiderers' Guild and the workshop is on Altered Books but I thought if participants did not want to alter the pages in any way, they could just cover an old book and restore it for many more years of use.



I have used lots of scraps of vintage fabrics, net and block printed textiles - I find using scraps which may be very random in shape helps to build an interesting collage, otherwise the temptation is to use lots of strips or regular shaped pieces which gives a more deliberate effect.  I have used a print block to print written script onto organza and then added a quote from the book in hand stitching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment