Monday, 7 November 2016

A Few Finishing Touches

With Christmas only seven weeks away and the days flying by, I had that "must finish off some of those unfinished pieces I have started this year" feeling and then I can do a grand tidy up of that room I call a studio!!  One piece that I had been working on was the landscape below, however, I was pleased that I had waited until after my holiday to take it to the framers as, as soon as I returned, I could see immediately what final adjustments it needed.  I always find putting a piece to one side and not looking at it for a while makes it clearer as to what needs altering.  I picked it up from Eastern Frames in Haughley last Wednesday. 


Last week I also finished off these two pots that I started way back earlier in the year.  The tall pot was virtually finished but I just added a piece of organza to the area behind the little house and added the embroidered telegraph pole.    


I took my inspiration for the tall pot from paintings by David Pearce.  The trees are organza shapes applied to silk habotai that has been dyed with some random shapes that suggest distant trees and a thin green tree to the right.  I have used pieces of dyed fabrics but some pieces of vintage fabrics to collage this quirky landscape pot.




The small pot started life as a rolling landscape but something about it wasn't working for me.  I left it to one side for months and then added the trees which are painted on silk organza - the trees are inspired by a painting by Christopher Wood who knew the Nicholsons and who was also influenced by the work of Alfred Wallis. 




When the landscape, which is attached to the pot at one end, is unwound it reveals a third tree.



This year I have also been buying second hand books to alter - one I did about my mother and the other about the poet, Emily Dickinson.  However, I have also rescued some second hand books as well - strengthening ripped spines and covering stained covers. So far I have  rescued Emma by Jane Austen, Dr. Thorne by Anthony Trollope, The Charm of Birds by Earl Grey of Falloden and a book on gardens.  I'm sure I could resell these books and they would make lovely presents.  


The first few pages and last few pages of The Charm of Birds (mainly the end papers and dedication page), were tucked under the pockets that were created in making the new cover - this helps to prevent further damage if these pages are fragile.  I then set about creating new end papers - this is a design I created from a series of prints I did using an umbrella handle which had a series of grooves in it.  I just painted black ink onto the handle and rolled it onto the paper.   Then I extended some of the lines with black ink to create a landscape and overprinted with a tree lino print block that I made.  I then put it into Photoshop and tried all the grey colour effects and liked this one the best.  I then printed the design onto one end of a sheet of paper so that the blank end of the paper could slip into the pocket to hold it in place.



So, it was a good week, on top of which I have also designed my Christmas cards which are now at the printers and have been making Christmas tree decorations for  Braintree Museum for the Braintree Christmas Event on 19th November.


Below is also a new book cover I started to put together - it has some lovely vintage cutwork down the spine and a collection of spotty and striped fabrics overlaid with a photograph of me and my sister printed on silk organza - I love silk organza, it is so versatile.  Just tucked behind the picture is part a print on fabric of one of my Alfred Wallis inspired pictures, a scrap of paper - the words about making clothes - the organza allows it to be seen through but protects the paper at the same time.  At this stage it is not stitched and I had to stop myself and put it aside to work on, perhaps over Christmas or in the New Year.




No comments:

Post a Comment