Monday, 14 August 2017

In a Blue Mood

Over the past few weeks I decided to start another still life kantha piece as I so enjoyed working the others I have done and also I thought it would be good to have one or two pieces partly worked as I am giving a workshop on this subject in October.  The pieces are based on the work of artist John F. Button and just seem to lend themselves to this method of stitching/collage.  One of the things that seems to tie them together is colour and in particular the colour blue.  Historically I have not worked with the colour blue very often, when I was a child I was dressed in blue - being a twin our parents made some odd assumptions about us, I suppose I was put in blue because I had blue eyes but also my parents thought that in order to identify us easily they would associate us with a colour.  The odd thing is we are not identical twins - we don't even look like sisters - I suppose it is a case of not seeing what you are really looking at.  In a way that is what I have tried to do by doing these pictures - looking at colour and what makes it work in relation to another colour and making it work.  In this way I feel more comfortable about using blue and my plan for my new landscape work is to take what I've learnt and put it into practice.


As before, I have built the layers using two base layers of muslin and a fine cotton calico and used a combination of cotton calico, scrim, habotai silk and silk organza to create the collage.

























In the picture on the left I feel the intensive blue of the flower is very important.  The picture on the right shows the different patterns that can be created just using running stitch - it is all about placement of the stitch. 


The shadowing on the jug is created by placing a scrap of cotton scrim under a layer of organza to hold it down and to blend with the white muslin used for the base colour of the jug.

4 comments:

  1. These kantha pieces are really beautiful Libby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gina - have really enjoyed doing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely - really looking forward to the workshop x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Gill - hope you are feeling better - will write. xx

    ReplyDelete